We are busy developing a new and improved website

Antisocial behaviour is defined as 'behaviour by a person which causes, or is likely to cause, harassment, alarm or distress to persons not of the same household as the person' (Antisocial Behaviour Act 2003 and Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011).

But what does this mean? Find out more about how we classify antisocial behaviour and the many activities that it covers.

What is antisocial behaviour?

There are three main categories for antisocial behaviour, depending on how many people are affected:

  • Personal antisocial behaviour is when a person targets a specific individual or group.
  • Nuisance antisocial behaviour is when a person causes trouble, annoyance or suffering to a community.
  • Environmental antisocial behaviour is when a person’s actions affect the wider environment, such as public spaces or buildings.
Examples of Antisocial behaviour (ASB) can include:
  • Rowdy, noisy behaviour including shouting and yelling close to people’s homes
  • Littering and fly-tipping rubbish
  • People loitering around the streets, paths and shops
  • Drinking alcohol, being drunk or rowdy in a public place
  • Playing loud music
  • Climbing on roofs or property that does not belong to you
  • Riding mopeds or scooters through estates and on paths
  • Abandoning cars on the street
  • Vandalism and graffiti

Many of these points are criminal offences and can and do result in prosecution or arrest.

People of all ages become involved in ASB; it doesn’t just make life unpleasant but can ruin lives and make areas feel unsafe.

How to report 

Contacting the council

Your local council can offer help with lots of different types of ASB which affect the area that you live in. Please see the related links to the right of this page to report to your Council. 

Victim Support 

Have specialist antisocial behaviour teams in many areas around the country that deal directly with councils and social housing landlords. Details on how Victim Support can help can be found to the right of the page and you can contact them by clicking here - Cumbria - Victim Support

Contacting the police

You should contact the police if the offender:

  • is violent, threatening or abusive
  • is harassing you, particularly if the harassment is sexual, or because of your sexuality, religion or ethnic background
  • is breaching the peace (being disorderly in the street or making a lot of noise)
  • is driving vehicles dangerously or inappropriately
  • is making you feel alarmed, harassed or distressed by taking part in prostitution, begging or sleeping rough
  • is causing nuisance by street drinking or committing an offence by drinking in an alcohol-free zone
  • is breaking the law in any other way is at serious risk of causing harm to themselves or others or - if you suspect this.

Call 999 if you or someone else is in immediate danger, or if you think there is a crime in progress.

Community Trigger 

Cumbria Community Safety Partnership, which includes the police, the council and registered housing providers, works together to tackle antisocial behaviour and hate incidents. The Community Trigger is a process you can use to ask agencies to review their response to antisocial behaviour or hate incidents you have reported.

Community Trigger Information

If someone has reported Antisocial Behaviour but no action has been taken, you will be able to tell us about it under the Community Trigger.

The reporting threshold is:

  • You have reported 3 or more incidents relating to the same problem in the past six months to the Council, Police or your landlord, and no action has been taken.


  • You have made 5 reports about the same problem in the past 6 months to the Council, Police or their landlord and no action has been taken.


  • 1 incident or crime motivated by hate in the last 3 months and no action has been taken.

The reported problems have not been acknowledged – i.e. no one contacted you to advise what action would be taken.

  • The reported problems have not been appropriately investigated.
  • Your vulnerability and/or the potential for harm has not been considered and this has affected potential service delivery.
  • No action has been taken because information has not been shared between partners and this has affected potential service delivery.
  • If someone has reported antisocial behaviour and received a service but the problems are ongoing;

Contact the agency you are working with to tell them what is happening.

  • If you have reported antisocial behaviour and received a service but you’re unhappy with the service received or action taken;

Submit a complaint under the agency’s complaints procedures.

You need to fill out a local community trigger online referral form giving details of the case. This can be done on your local council website. You can find a local council directory here.

(Note: If you cannot find the location of your councils community trigger information. Please make contact with them directly for further information.)

The Community Trigger is designed to ensure that there is a review where cases have been reported and no action has been taken. It is not a complaints procedure.

If your case meets these criteria you will be notified within five working days. Your case will be reviewed and recommendations may be made as to how the case can progress will be reported to you within ten working days.

If you have difficulty accessing or completing the online form, please contact your local authority.

Antisocial behaviour (ASB) and Hate Incidents

If this is the first time you are reporting this issue or concern, you can report it by:

  • Contacting Cumbria Constabulary on 101.
  • Report directly to your housing office or housing association, if you are a tenant of a social landlord.

Environmental health, including noise and animal welfare, Abandoned Vehicles & Graffiti

  • Local Authority
  • In emergencies, always call 999.