Entry route now open!
Overview: Cumbria Constabulary are looking to recruit individuals holding degrees in Professional Policing into the Police Constable (PC) role.
Is this the route for you: To be eligible to apply, you will need to have taken a three-year BSc Professional Policing programme offered by universities that are a licensed and validated to deliver the Degree by the College of Policing. You will be nearing the completion of your degree and be graduating this summer (2021).
Your application to the role as a Police Officer will be conditional on graduating successfully with a BSc Professional Policing Degree (Pre-join degree). We will need to see a copy of your certificate prior to appointment in the role.
Once you have started with the Constabulary, you will undertake a focussed training programme on professional practice which includes the main areas of development of practical skills required for the role.
The post has a two year probation period during which, you will achieve Independent Patrol Status (IPS) and work towards completion and achievement of the Full Operational Competence Portfolio.
Please note we require candidates to have a full manual UK driving licence in order to apply.
Need some guidance? Take a look at some guidance on how to apply here.
As a frontline police officer you will be the face of the Constabulary supporting local communities, building relationships and combating crime. Read more
Contact your University and find out first if your degree is suitable to apply under the Professional Policing Degree (PPD) graduate entry route.
The average probation period is two years.
All the answers that you need to know about your stage of the recruitment process are contained within the recruitment process page of the website. If you still have questions then you can email us at email@example.com and we will try and respond to you within 48 hours.
For more FAQ's visit our FAQ page
Professional Policing Degree (PPD) Entry Route Eligibility
As a Police Constable you will be responsible for the protection of life and property, the prevention and detection of crime and the maintenance of public order through a range of sworn powers in line with organisational standards.
To be eligible to apply all applicants must:
- To apply to the police service you must be at least 17 years old. You must be 18 at the time of appointment.
- You need to be a British citizen or a citizen of a country that is a member of the European Economic Area or Switzerland, or a Commonwealth citizen or foreign national who is resident in the UK and free from restrictions.
- Must possess a Full UK Manual Driving Licence., with no more than 6 points
- Hold a degree in Professional Policing. You can obtain this degree at a number of independent higher education institutes, please see a list of providers. Alternatively, if you hold a degree in another subject you may apply to join the Constabulary's Degree Holder Entry Programme (DHEP). If you would like to obtain your Professional Policing degree though our apprenticeship programme, you can apply to join the Constabulary's, Police Constable Degree Apprenticeship (PCDA).
- Not have any tattoos which cause offence, are excessive or considered unprofessional.
- Any previous criminal convictions or cautions (including those spent), fixed penalty notices, traffic offences or any involvement with the Police must but be declared.
- Not be registered bankrupt, subject to CCJs or IVAs.
- You must have lived in the UK for three continuous years, immediately prior to application.
- Not be a member of the British National Party (BNP) or plus other organisations such as Combat 18 or The National Front.