Repeal of requirement to register with the Police

The general requirement under the Immigration Rules for certain Foreign Nationals to register with the Police (the “Police Registration Scheme”) has ceased. You are no longer required to register with the Police.

This means that the relevant foreign nationals of specified nationalities, aged 16 or over, usually granted more than six months' leave in certain migration categories are no longer obliged to register with the police.

Click here to see the Public Notice and FAQ’s for further information.


Is every foreign national required to register with the police when residing in the United Kingdom?

You can tell by looking at the wording on your visa in your passport - if it says 'Register with the police', you will need to do so, please contact the Foreign Nationals Registration Office to make your registration.

Registration required passport example:

Registration required passport example:
Is it possible to register for the first time at any police station?

Yes, you will need to do this within seven days of your arrival.

Do I need an appointment to complete the registration process?

Yes, the Overseas Visitors Registration Officer will contact you to make this appointment after you have made initial contact with the police.

What do I need to bring with me to register with the police for the first time?

To register with the police you are required to bring with you the following items:
• Your passport.
• Two recent passport size photographs.
• Registration fee of £34.00 (cash only).
• If you are a student, you must bring your university/college offer letter with details of your studies or a student card.
• If an organisation or company is sponsoring your studies, you should bring a letter from the organisation to confirm this.
• If you are employed in the United Kingdom you must bring your work permit and details of your employers.
• A contact telephone number and address details in the UK
• Proof of your address (bank statement or a utility bill)

Will the registration certificate be available for collection the same day?

The certificate will be issued on the day the registration process is complete.

If I change any of the details that are on my registration certificate, do I have to report these changes to the police?

Yes. After registering you must comply with the rules on the reverse of the certificate and any changes, including a change of address must be reported within 7 days to the Foreign Nationals Registration Office.

The Rules of the Police Registration Scheme require you to report changes as follows:-

• New address
• Any new landing conditions
• Extensions to your visa granted by the Home Office
• New passport
• New study information or change to university/college
• New employment
• Change of marital status
• Exemption from Police Registration
• Change of Nationality

When will my registration certificate expire?

Your registration certificate will expire if you are out of the United Kingdom for a continuous period of more than 1 year.

If I go to live in another city in the United Kingdom what should I do?

You must report to the local police station in the new town within 7 days. Take your police registration certificate, passport and evidence of your new school, university or work permit. If you have not been out of the UK as above there will be no charge and you continue to use the same certificate.

Will I be prosecuted if I do not report any changes to my registration?

Yes, you will be prosecuted if you do not report changes to the details on your registration certificate or do not keep to your visa requirements. This could result in either a fine of up to £5000 and/or 6 months imprisonment.

What do I do when I am leaving the United Kingdom and plan not to return?

Before leaving the United Kingdom, you are required to return your registration certificate to the Foreign Nationals Registration Office or your local police station in Dorset, explaining that you are leaving the UK and giving the date of your departure.

What if I am going on holiday out of the United Kingdom: do I return my registration certificate?

No, if you are leaving the UK for a short holiday you should keep your certificate with you.

If I lose my registration certificate or damage it, do I have to pay for another?

Yes, if you have lost your registration certificate, you must report the loss to your local police station with your passport and registration fee of £34 to obtain a replacement. If it is damaged you must hand it in and you will also pay £34 for a replacement.

What happens if my registration certificate is stolen?

If your registration certificate has been stolen, you must report the theft to your local police station and you are then given a Crime Report Reference number. On receipt of this number you must inform the Foreign Nationals Registration Office or local police station if you live.

Visas and Immigration

Businesses and Sponsors

Nationals required to register...

You can email the Overseas Visitor Department at Please leave your name, address, contact number, email address and country of origin. You will then be contacted as soon as possible.