alert-icon@2xalert-icon@2xion-close-round - Ionicons- white@2x Skip to content

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Guidance: Click here for what you can and cannot do

Report online For non emergencies
Call 999 For emergency calls only
Call 999 For emergency calls only
Call 101 If unable to report online
Call 101 If unable to report online

The Constabulary is unable to take any reports of the following items of lost property, to help you to report this to the correct place, please follow the guidance below.

If you have lost any property such as cash, identification, cards, handbags, bikes etc , try to re-trace your steps and contact any premises you have visited to see if they have had this handed in. The premises listed below should have their own lost / found procedures:  

  • Licence premises (pubs, nightclubs)
  • Private premises (house, hotel, hostel)
  • Taxi’s
  • Public transport (trains, buses, trams)
  • Business premises (shops, supermarkets)
  • Educational premises (schools, universities, colleges).

If you have lost any of the items listed below, please report as follows:

Driving licences, passports, identification documents etc:

Credit / Debit / Store cards:

  • contact your bank or credit card company and report the loss to them immediately, they will cancel and issue a replacement.

Mobile Phones:

  • contact your service provider as soon as possible to have your phone blocked. Contact details can be found on your mobile provider’s website or in your local store.

Handbag / Wallet / Purse:

  • contact the issuers of any documents or cards as detailed above.


  • consider getting your locks changed to ensure your property remains secure.

Blue Badge:

  • report the loss to the local council, who is the issuing authority.


  • call your local district council, who may have picked up your dog as a stray.
  • call local vets, refuge centres to see if they have had your dog or animal handed in.
  • consider putting up a notice in the local area.