alert-icon@2xalert-icon@2xion-close-round - Ionicons- white@2x Skip to content
Report online For non emergencies
Call 999 For emergency calls only
Call 999 For emergency calls only
Call 101 For all non emergencies
Call 101 For All non emergencies
Posted on 22:14:00 on 6th December 2018

A team of officers have received commendations for their role in responding to and investigating an incident in Kirkby Lonsdale which left a woman seriously injured.

As well as the officers, two members of the public who were the first on the scene have also received Chief Constable’s Commendations.

On 26 October 2017, two members of the public were flagged down by man who had just carried out a serious assault on his wife. They were able to keep the man at the scene whilst giving initial first aid to the victim, who had received horrific injuries. The two men also entered the suspect’s flat without thought to their own personal safety.

Police Constables Jamie Callon, Jason Hesmondhalgh and Marc Holmes were the first officers on the scene and all assisted in administering first aid to the victim, who was subsequently air-lifted to Preston Royal Infirmary. She had suffered an horrendous list of injuries, including 30 wounds to her head alone.

The attacker – a man in his 80s - was charged with attempted murder.

Also commended were Rebecca Joseph and Caroline Middleton, Detective Sergeant Darren Henderson and Detective inspector Helen Curme.

Detective Constable Middleton took on the role of Family Liaison Officer, which involved regular contact with the victim’s relatives in Canada and Australia.

Detective Constable Joseph was the lead detective which involved interviewing the suspect and completing subsequent enquiries.

Detective Sergeant Henderson was office manager for the investigation and supervised other officers alongside Detective Inspector Curme.

The defendant was sentenced to an indefinite custodial sentence in a secure hospital.

Detective Superintendent Vicki Ellis said: “The victim in this case was subject to a brutal and sustained attack which could easily have resulted in her death.

“The quick response and selfless act of bravery shown by the members of the public ensured the attacker could not inflict any further injuries, could not leave the scene and ensured the victim received immediate treatment for life-threatening injuries.

“The officers on the scene acted swiftly to ensure the attacker was arrested, the scene secured and the victim was given the best possible chance for survival, whilst the detectives involved in the investigation showed exceptional levels of professionalism and diligence which resulted the attacker will no longer pose any threat to the public.”

A number of medical personnel, including with the Great Northern Air Ambulance, were also commended this evening for their work giving immediate, life-saving medical attention.

Search news