Copeland Borough Council Housing Options Team are a 24 hour statutory service for households who are homeless or threatened with homelessness within 56 days. We can offer housing related advice and assistance, and some cases emergency accommodation. The emergency accommodation in Copeland is target hardened to make the occupant/s feel safe and secure, with extra security measures internally and externally. We would then provide assistance to seek independent or supported longer term accommodation.
Within the Housing Options Team, we have a crisis prevention and support officer who will offer support and signpost to other agencies that meet the expectations of the customer. This officer attends the MARAC and has specialist knowledge and experience to offer interventions and ongoing one to one support. The officers works intensively with victims, given them the skills and knowledge to sustain a tenancy in the future. We have found since establishing this role that we have had few victims returning to the perp and have had less repeat homeless cases.
We also provide facts and information on perpetrators/victims that is current and relevant. We collect a lot of personal information when taking a homeless application such as health needs, dependent children and criminal history. All this can be brought to the MARAC for sharing.
The actions taken from MARAC can include:
- Contacting victims for appointment
- Housing Options Advice and personal housing plans with actions set for us and them
- Registering for Social Housing and increasing bands
- Offering Emergency Accommodation with tenancy and crisis support
- Support from the Crisis Prevention and Support Officer
- Access to the Rent deposit scheme if securing accommodation in the private sector