Below are some controlling methods that a victim of domestic abuse wanted to highlight, from their experience, in hope that sharing these might help someone to spot a sign.
- Wanting to be together all the time.
- Controlling how you look (i.e. clothes, hair, makeup).
- Excessive compliments and gifts.
- Bombarding you with texts, phone calls and social media messages.
- Control your finances.
- Aggressively breaking things/slamming doors.
- Underplaying the violence they inflict on you.
- Silencing you when you try to talk.
- Isolating you from friends and family.
- Being uncontactable for long periods of time.
- Insulting you, often passing it off as a ‘joke’.
- Changing personalities when there is an audience.
- Moving the relationship at a very quick pace.
- Dismissive of your feelings.
- Making promises to change, but failing to do so.
Click here for more advice and how to report domestic abuse.