alert-icon@2xalert-icon@2xion-close-round - Ionicons- white@2x Skip to content

COVID19 NATIONAL LOCKDOWN: Stay home, Protect lives, Save NHS. Click here for government guidance

Please visit our Covid19 webpage for further information.

Report online For non emergencies
Call 999 For emergency calls only
Call 999 For emergency calls only
Call 101 For all non emergencies
Call 101 For All non emergencies

 Domestic Abuse 2 850x400

If you, or someone you know is in immediate danger, call 999 immediately.
Our priority at Cumbria Police is to ensure the safety of you and your family, police officers will attend the incident and take the action that is required to protect and ensure your safety.

Police can force entry into your home if needed. They will give you an opportunity to speak to them in private and in confidence about this and any other incidents that may have happened without the offender knowing what you are saying.

The police will listen, provide help and immediate medical assistance if required.

Cumbria Police will take all the circumstances into account and if required they will arrest the offender(s) to ensure the safety of you and your family.

The primary role of the police is to prevent and detect crimes, we are committed to bringing offenders before the courts.

If you, or someone you know is suffering from domestic violence we are here to help you. Talk to us or someone you trust and together we can stop domestic violence.

Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme
(Clare’s Law)

Also known as Clare’s Law, the Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme aims to help those (both men and women) who are worried that they, or someone they know, may be at risk of domestic abuse.

The scheme allows you to make an application to police for information about a person’s violent behaviour in previous relationships. Following your application, police will consider sharing this information with you to help you make a more informed decision on whether to continue the relationship. You’ll also receive advice on support available to make that choice.

If you make an application for information about a friend or relative’s partner, police will consider sharing this information with the person you’re concerned about, or relevant agencies, if appropriate. Police will talk to you and decide whether it’s appropriate for you to be given more information, to help protect the friend or relative you’re concerned about.

To make an application, visit a police station or contact us on 101. If someone is at risk of being harmed, always call 999.

Domestic Violence Protection Orders & Domestic Violence Protection Notices

Domestic Violence Protection Notices (DVPNs) and Domestic Violence Protection Orders (DVPOs) provide you with immediate protection following an incident of domestic violence and give you time to consider what to do next. Local specialist services that provide advice and support will get in touch with you if a DVPN is issued.

Both DVPNs and DVPOs place certain conditions on the perpetrator which may:
• Stop them from entering and being within a certain distance of your home.
• Stop them from making you leave or excluding you from your home.
• Mean they have to leave your home (even if you live at the same address).

A DVPN comes into effect as soon as it is issued by the police. Within 48 hours of this (excluding Sundays and Bank Holidays), the Magistrates’ Court will hear an application for a DVPO. This hearing can take place in the absence of the perpetrator. The Magistrates will also take into account the welfare of any children who the police consider will be affected by the DVPO.

Please note: The police can serve a DVPN or DVPO even if you do not agree to it and you will not have to go to court or give evidence if you do not want to.

Report it - If you are a victim of domestic abuse, or know someone who is, we would prefer to speak to you on the phone (by calling us on 101) or in person.

Also in Advice Centre...