alert-icon@2xalert-icon@2xion-close-round - Ionicons- white@2x Skip to content

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Guidance: Click here for what you can and cannot do

Report online For non emergencies
Call 999 For emergency calls only
Call 999 For emergency calls only
Call 101 If unable to report online
Call 101 If unable to report online

Disclosure Scheme 850x400

The child sex offender disclosure scheme allows parents, carers and guardians to formally ask Cumbria Police to tell them if someone who has access to a child / children is a registered sex offender or poses a risk to the child / children. The aim of this scheme is to keep children safer.

This scheme does not replace any current procedures but is an additional scheme which allows the disclosure of information to be given to parents, guardians and carers to help them better safeguard their child / children’s safety and welfare.

Anyone can make an application to Cumbria Police about an individual if they are concerned including parent, guardian or third party such as neighbour, friend etc.

If Cumbria Police feel there is an immediate risk to the child / children then this will be dealt with using existing processes. If there is no immediate risk then the information will be gathered and communicated to the person who has care of the child within 45 days.

Cumbria Police will disclose information to the person who is best placed to protect the child / children such as parent, carer or guardian. If a third party made the application, they would not necessarily have the information disclosed to them if they were not the person, best able to protect the child / children.

Any information disclosed is confidential and is not to be released to the general public at any time. For information or to make an application and report a concern then contact us on 101.

Information can also be found on a national website

Select Here for Frequently Asked Questions

Also in Advice Centre...