Guidance for buying fireworks:
- You can’t buy or use ‘adult’ fireworks if you’re under 18, and it’s against the law for anyone to set off fireworks between 11pm and 7am, except on certain occasions.
- Adult fireworks are category 2 and 3 fireworks - they don’t include things like sparklers and party poppers.
- The law says you must not set off or throw fireworks (including sparklers) in the street or other public places.
- You must not set off fireworks between 11pm and 7am. The exceptions are:
- Bonfire Night, when the cut off is midnight.
- New Year’s Eve, Diwali and Chinese New Year, when the cut off is 1am.
Agencies are also asking residents not to build fires in dangerous places and to make sure they are not on land owned by the City Council, unless formal permission has been granted.
Anyone wishing to organise their own bonfire on council land, should also contact the City Council, on 01228 817000, to ask permission. Residents can also use the same number to report any unofficial bonfires or they can email:firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Police out of hours non-emergency number on 101.