Hate Crime and Incidents

These internet pages have been developed to give more information on the following, please click in the links to find out more:

•  What is a Hate Crime?
•  Why should Hate Crimes be reported?
•  How can I report a Hate Crime? & to Report a Hate Crime Online
•  Support available
• CFM Radio Disability Hate Crime Adverts


We need to stop hate crime in Cumbria, so that everyone can live and enjoy their lives free from the fear of crime, being harassed bullied or abused. Hate crimes are any crimes that are targeted at a person because of hostility or prejudice towards their disability, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or transgender status.

Cumbria Constabulary, Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) and CFM have joined forces to launch a campaign to raise awareness of disability hate crime in Cumbria. “Tell us or tell a mate, never accept disability hate” aims to increase awareness to the issue and encourage the reporting of disability hate crime.

The campaign has been launched following fears that disability hate crime goes unreported across the county. Discussions with disabled people and disability groups highlighted that there was an issue with under reporting and a lack of understanding of what a disability hate crime is.

Some victims of disability hate crime are helping us in our campaign and have recorded short adverts about their experiences which will be played on CFM Radio. We don’t want anyone to suffer in silence, so if you or anyone you know has been a victim of hate crime, then contact police immediately, so that we can support victims and bring offenders to justice.

You can also report an incident by attending a Hate Incident Reporting Centres in locations across the county which offer a safe, neutral location where victims or witnesses can report an incident without having to speak directly to a police officer.


Please Select Here to listen to our other CFM adverts with people's stories & experiences




Your Neighbourhood

Local station

Contact Us

Get in touch
(non emergency) 101

Making a complaint

Email us here

Other ways to get
in touch